The Graduate Nurse (GN) is a member of the patient care delivery team. Under the supervision of a registered nurse, the GN engages in patient care activities, which include patient/family education, for a group of patients and their families through communication and collaboration with all team members, ancillary services and support services.
It is recognized that specific patient care tasks may vary widely in type and frequency from unit to unit or across service lines, based on the nature of the patient population being served. Therefore, individual units or service lines may appropriately add to or delete from the duties defined in the Graduate Nurse job description when approved by nursing administration.
1. Collaborates and cooperates with care team members to ensure consistency and quality of care and promotes productive employee relations among staff members. Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to the philosophy and objective of continuous improvement; team work; the mission, vision and values of the DMC; and adheres to the DMC Customer Service Standards.*
2. Under the supervision of a registered nurse, coordinates patient care activities, including patient/family education, for an assigned group of patients and assumes the role of care coordinator for uncomplicated patients; utilizes available clinical pathways and protocols; incorporates discharge planning into the care plan at the time of admission; evaluates variance and progress towards goals; modifies plans to achieve desired patient outcomes. Facilitates and manages patients care activities involving other departments to assure efficiency, minimize delays and optimize patient outcomes. Participates in cost containment efforts.* 3. Under the supervision of a registered nurse, provides direct patient care as determined by patient, family and unit needs by:
- Determining patient and family needs; identifying goals with patient and family; developing and implementing plan to meet those goals; practicing culturally sensitive and competent patient and family centered care. - Following through to ensure that physician orders are executed according to plan. - Documenting and communicating patient response to care and treatment; monitoring appropriate laboratory values for therapeutic ranges of medications; and assessing side effects and response to medications. - Participating in identifying quality improvement opportunities in response to patient, family, visitor and physician feed back. - Promoting Patient, family, employee, visitor and unit safety. - Identifying learning needs of patients and families regarding present health status, ongoing health care needs and home care requirements if necessary; initiating and coordinating interdisciplinary teaching and discharge planning; and providing instruction for patient and family upon discharge regarding treatment, follow-up care plans, medications, etc.*
4. Under the supervision of a registered nurse, collaborates with physicians, care management specialists and other health care providers in carrying out the nursing process by:
- Contacting and interacting with care management specialists and continuum care management specialists as determined by patient assessment for risk factors and referral mechanisms.
- Seeking input from other caregivers in the development, implementation and evaluation of the plan of care.*
* The essential functions of this job include but are not limited to those marked with an asterisk.
Qualifications: 1. Graduation from an accredited school of nursing. BSN preferred.
2. Must have temporary authorization to practice as a graduate nurse under the direct supervision of a registered nurse as required by law, regulation in state of practice, or policy.
3. Must be licensed to practice as a registered nurse by the state of Michigan within 90 days of hire. If license is not obtained within 90 days of hire, classification will be changed to Nurse Associate or employee may be terminated.
Primary Location: Commerce Township, Michigan
Facility: DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Nights
If Other Shift, Specify: orientation is on days. Weekend and holiday rotations
Shift Begin: 7:00 PMShift End: 7:30 AM
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 1905040151
About DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital
“Tenet Healthcare Corporation is a diversified healthcare services company with 115,000 employees united around a common mission: to help people live happier, healthier lives. Through its subsidiaries, partnerships and joint ventures, including United Surgical Partners International, the Company operates general acute care and specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers and other outpatient facilities. Tenet's Conifer Health Solutions subsidiary provides technology-enabled performance improvement and health management solutions to hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery networks, physician groups, self-insured organizations and health plans.